10.19.2010

Thank God for blood tests and a diagnosis of an over active thyroid

This week I am very thankful for blood tests! Yes, the person who has needle phobia thanks God for such a procedure! Why, you may ask? It's because the pesky blood test found out that I probably have hyperthyroidism. And now, I am going through all the tests to make sure that it is indeed what it is. Hyperthyroidism just means that my thyroid gland over produces the thyroid hormone. There's supposedly two types of hormones and they just tested me (with another blood test) to see which of the two I'm making more of. The symptoms of hyperthyroidism, according to Wiki, are as follows:


- nervousness
- irritability
- increased perspiration
- heart racing
- hand tremors
- anxiety
- difficulty sleeping
- thinning of the skin
- fine brittle hair
- muscular weakness—especially in the upper arms and thighs
- more frequent bowel movements may occur, but diarrhea is uncommon
- weight loss, sometimes significant, despite a good appetite may occur*
- vomiting
- menstrual flow may lighten and menstrual periods may occur less often (for women)


See the red asterisk at the end of one of the symptoms? The only symptom I didn't get! The only symptom I didn't mind having too! Sigh... But not kidding aside *wink*, I am grateful that there is indeed a reason why I was being who I was lately - what my husband calls, "the worrier". I have been a little apprehensive lately, stressing about the minutest of details. I was a little irritable too. I also thought I have insomnia and was in wonder, what the heck has happened to my formerly shiny hair! But now, I know! There is a reason! Ha! And for the diagnosis, I am thankful because now I know that I don't have to live like this edgy, obsessive, worrying, almost-everyday-a bad-hair-day freak! With the treatment, I can be "me" again! :-)


Note to hubby: Honey, now you know! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment