2.17.2011

Tofulicious!

So, for the past week or more, I have stopped eating turkey, chicken, beef and pork. Ever since I've watched "Food, Inc" and "From Farm to Fridge", I developed a strong aversion to anything meat. I do still love fish and shellfish (although I have to douse myself with benadryl when I eat it), but after seeing how much cruelty is suffered by cows, pigs and poultry, before they finally get the relief of death through slaughter, I can't even think about eating these products, moreso, give them to my daughter.

So, lately, I've been scouring veggie and fish recipes to serve my family. And I must say that I don't really miss meat at all! Although I think my body is going through meat-withdrawal as I am haviing minor headaches the past few days... but I do also think that these minor headaches are now my body's way of telling me I'm hungry, which is definitely way better than the pain I felt before in my stomach signalling my hunger.

Anyway, tofu is now a big part of my diet and here's a recipe that I so just love courtesy of allrecipes:

Tofu Parmigiana

Ingredients


1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
5 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided

salt to taste

ground black pepper to taste

1 (12 ounce) package firm tofu

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce

1/2 teaspoon dried basil

1 clove garlic, minced

4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions


1.In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon oregano, salt, and black pepper.

2.Slice tofu into 1/4 inch thick slices, and place in bowl of cold water. One at a time, press tofu slices into crumb mixture, turning to coat all sides.

3.Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook tofu slices until crisp on one side. Drizzle with a bit more olive oil, turn, and brown on the other side.

4.Combine tomato sauce, basil, garlic, and remaining oregano. Place a thin layer of sauce in an 8 inch square baking pan. Arrange tofu slices in the pan. Spoon remaining sauce over tofu. Top with shredded mozzarella and remaining 3 tablespoons Parmesan.

5.Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 20 minutes.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment