7.29.2011

Don't QUIT!

Being a WAHM really taught me a lot of things, like; how to genuinely care for people, how to say what I mean and mean what I say, how to roll with the punches (not take "NO" personally), how failure is very much a part of the process of success, and how NOT to quit. I am fortunate to experience the best of both worlds - having to work for an employer and having to work for myself and my family. As much as I like having someone tell me what to do (during those times that repetitive and mundane serve as a good break), I like it better having to work for myself. There is just this certain drive, passion and fear that fuels me when I do the business.

To be honest, I am scared out of my wits every time I dare to do things out of my comfort zone. The worst part for me is having to ask for favors from others to try the services I offer. Me and "asking for help" - never been a synchronous combination. But I am learning more and more that life is really all about that - creating symbiotic relationships with the people around you. My greatest mentor on this is my husband. Talk about a man who WILL NOT take "NO" for an answer. He has mastered the art of failure... maybe that's why he is very successful in forging relationships. I so admire him and his ability to look at failure the same way as he looks at success, they are all a part of life. Nothing scares him, but one thing - the idea of quitting. Yeah, the word "quit" has been deleted in our family's vocabulary.

This poem inspires me every time I feel like I'm on the verge of giving-up. As Les Brown said, "If you fall, fall on your back. If you can look up, you can get up." Enjoy:


When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest, if you must, but don't you quit.
 
Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about,
When he might have won had he stuck it out;
Don't give up though the pace seems slow--
You may succeed with another blow.
 
Often the goal is nearer than,
It seems to a faint and faltering man,
Often the struggler has given up,
When he might have captured the victor's cup,
And he learned too late when the night slipped down,
How close he was to the golden crown.
 
Success is failure turned inside out--
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems so far,
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit--
It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.
 
- Author unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment