9.18.2009

1 Corinthians 3:5

“Love is not self seeking, it’s not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrong.” - 1 Corintians 3:5

Earlier in the day, Malcolm and I got into this argument over our finances. Over-all I think both of us have good points regarding the issue; however, what made us different is the way we ended the discussion. After we said our pieces, Malcolm said, "I love you" and I didn't. Initially, I didn't really thought there is anything to it. I was mad and why would I have to say "I love you" in the heat of my anger. Then it hit me... I was withholding saying "I love you" because I was mad. When my husband reached out to me by saying those 3 simple words of assurance that I am loved regardless of our disagreement, I held on to my anger... my "not-so-big-a-deal" anger.

Then this verse...

Yes, at that moment in our marriage, I self-sought. At that moment, I was easily angered. At that moment, I kept a record of what my point of view said was wrong. At that moment, my carnality took over my love. I forgot to love.

The better-half in me is thankful that I caught this selfishness before it gets out of hand. It's just being married, sometimes it just feels like love is already a given. Situations like this really opens one's eyes.

Note to Hubby: Honey, I am so sorry. I didn't really paid attention to my anger. I didn't really thought my wanting to be right shadowed the love that I have for you. I love you! And yes, I know, "...it's not self seeking, it’s not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrong".

Prayer: Jesus, thank you! Because of your love, I am capacitated to love. I am sorry if I forget at times. I love you and thank you for making me remember what your stubborn love really means.

No comments:

Post a Comment